BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Tuesday, January 19, 2010

My Dreams Are Bursting At The Seams

Sorry about that previous post. It had to come out; it was bothering me tremendously. I think after going to my American Indian Reservation Project meeting tonight I'm just feeling genuinely scared of where my life is going.

I am completely enraptured with teaching and learning... I love the process of inquiry and discovery.

At the same time, current legislation is destroying any hope of equity in education. I've been looking forward to student teaching so much, because it's when I get that final practice run before graduating and becoming a bona fide teacher. The director of cultural immersion projects was talking to us today, though, and mentioned the fact that almost all of the elementary schools are using scripted reading and sometimes even math programs.

I guess for some reason this was a completely unexpected blow.

As a teacher, I would feel like I was failing my students if I had to follow a script. Yes, I would be fulfilling my requirements with the school system, but I would not be fulfilling my requirements as a teacher. Teachers are there to provide children with individualized education that meets their needs and helps them become the brightest they can be.

I'm terrified right now, because I'm afraid that everything that excites me about education is being taken away, little by little.

0 comments: